Benefits of skin icing
The skin is one of the most ill-treated parts of the body, since it is subjected to a lot, especially in polluted cities. Whether it is air and water pollution, the heat from the sun, or getting gnawed away by insects, we face it all. Needless to say, we are looking for ways to rejuvenate the skin and maintain its glow. Getting rid of blemishes and the perpetually tired look that we carry around would be an added advantage! That’s why we are always ready to try a new therapy. Skin icing is a technique which can be used at any time and will improve skin clarity and tone, help with puffy eyes and even reduce signs of ageing, among other things.
Read More : How to Remove Acne Overnight with Ice
What is skin icing?
As the name suggests, it is applying ice on the skin, to derive the benefits of the cooling agent on your skin. Experts believe that doing it correctly at regular intervals will optimise the positive effects.
How to do it?
Ideally, take four or five ice cubes from the ice trays and put them in a soft cotton cloth. You can use a soft handkerchief for it. Roll the ends, and use the covered ice cubes to massage your face and body gently. When applying it to your face, move the ice in gentle circular motions for a minute or two. You can use it on your forehead, cheeks, jaw line, nose, chin, and around the lips.
Why is skin icing popular?
The reasons are simple. The method is cost effective, extremely easy and natural. It offers visible results just in a few weeks of starting it! Skin icing can lead to multiple benefits, including improvement in skin conditions such as pimples, acne, inflammation of the skin and effects of ageing such as development of wrinkles and sagging. Icing also helps in reducing puffiness under the eyes and sunburn. Let’s take a look at the benefits of skin icing.
Improves blood circulation
The low temperature of the ice reduces the blood flow in the capillaries and lessens the quantity of blood under the skin at that point. Gradually, the iced part of the body responds to the cold treatment and sends an increased flow of warm blood into the area, improving circulation. This flow of warm blood helps clearing up the toxins as well. As an effect of all these actions, the dullness of the skin will disappear. When the blood circulation in the body improves, many other functions are enhanced. Improved blood circulation also helps clear the passages in the blood vessels apart from adding a little colour to the skin.
For maximum benefit, start with washing your face and pat drying it with a towel. Gently rub the ice cubes wrapped in a soft cloth on your face and neck using massage-like movements, following only one direction of motion.
Eases swelling and inflammation
Swelling and inflammation of the skin are common occurrences, since human beings engage in physical activities, develop rashes and get insect bites. A quick remedy for any sort of inflammation or swelling is applying an ice pack, not only to reduce it, but also for pain relief. Icing also works for heat rashes and stings. The temperature of the ice will constrict the blood flow, which will decrease the liquid content in the affected part of the body, easing the swelling. It also lowers the liquid pressure against the skin which acts as an effective pain reliever.
Apart from swelling and inflammation, icing also helps those who suffer from the skin condition rosacea. Use the icing technique on the cheeks and other affected areas if the rosacea flares up, will ease the pain and reduce the redness. If you are having an allergic reaction on the skin, icing will help you relieve it.
If you like to visit the beach often, or even have to be out for long periods of time in the sun, you probably may be subjected to sunburn, which you may realise much after. Sunburns can affect the skin quality, apart from being really painful. Icing is one of the quickest and most effective remedies to heal sunburns.
For best results, use cubes made of aloe gel. If you don’t have aloe cubes readily available, apply aloe gel on the skin and then start the icing process. Aloe has a lasting cooling effect on the skin, and combined with the ice it will work wonders. You can also try using ice cubes made of cucumber puree, since cucumbers are known to have general cooling properties.
Increases glow on the skin
The face, being exposed to external factors such as the wind, sun and the pollution, starts looking tired in no time. Add to that the stress of everyday routine, the pressure of deadlines and the running around you need to do for finishing errands, and the face is bound to look dull. Skin icing rejuvenates the skin, thereby taking off the tiredness from the face. With the tiredness visibly reduced, and the blood flow and colour in the treated areas improved, the skin gains an instant glow with skin icing.
Helps beat the heat!
With the weather conditions we live in, we tend to face the harshness brought in by the heat, especially in the summer months. You can use multiple ways to cool off during these months, but surely give skin icing a chance! An obvious effect of icing is that it cools the skin down, which is refreshing not just for the body (skin) but also the mind. Try this technique instead of consuming iced drinks and risking a sore throat! This method also works wonders for those women experience hot flashes during pregnancy.
Reduces oiliness, blemishes, pimples and acne
Oily skin can be difficult, especially when all you want to do it just take a napkin and rub that oiliness off! The continuous rubbing can be harmful, as it tends to get harsh on the skin when done repeatedly. Skin icing to the rescue! During icing, the skin pores are minimised, as a result of which excessive oil production is stopped. This reduces the sticky feeling on the skin and it doesn’t appear oily. The method additionally lessens skin break out, pimples, clogged pores, and averts blemishing of the skin.The technique can be used to heal wounds and cuts.
A pimple is considered a minor injury of the skin. To arrest a pimple, if possible, use the skin icing technique as soon as you notice a new one. The icing will slow down the inflammation of the pimple and reduce its size. It will also decrease the number of blemishes.
While working with the technique, try and hold an ice cube on the pimple for a few seconds, or till the time it begins to feel numb. Remember that pimples are full of bacteria so refrain from using the same ice cube or cloth over other areas on the face after using it directly on a pimple.
Refreshes the eyes and eliminates puffiness
The face, especially the eyes, is where the tiredness of a person shows immediately. For instant relief, you can dip some cotton balls or eye pads in iced water for a few seconds, squeeze them and place them on your eyelids to feel the discomfort just disappear. Add a few drops of rose water to the iced water for a refreshing feeling.
To eliminate puffiness under the eyes, wrap ice cubes in a soft cloth or gauze and gently dab on and around the puffy eyes moving from the inner eye corners up towards the eyebrow in a circular motion. A few experts also suggest doing this with iced coffee cubes. The caffeine in the coffee has constrictive properties which will eliminate the under-eye bags. If coffee doesn’t work for you or your dislike its aroma, try green tea cubes.
Prevents makeup from seeping in
Regular application of makeup can cause several problems to the skin, ranging from mild irritation to harmful side effects after prolonged usage. Applying ice on the face can help since it constricts the pores and creates a barrier on your skin surface. This barrier prevents the makeup from seeping in. The chances side effects are diminished.
Moreover, the result of the makeup tends to be much better since the skin is smoother and blemish-free from regular icing. Since the oiliness of the skin is reduced, the makeup will probably last for a longer period on your face.
Reduces signs of ageing
Who does not want to get rid of those wrinkles that give away their age and look younger than ever? Although facials are good for working against ageing, you cannot resort to them all the time. At max, you can get a facial once a month. On days when you need a quick fix, ice facials can be used to prevent signs of ageing from the face and the skin in general.
For best results, try to use ice cubes made with rose water or soothing oil like lavender oil, every night before sleeping. This icing will limit the chances of wrinkles cropping up and have a tightening effect on the skin. In effect, regular skin icing can result in clearer and younger looking skin within a couple of weeks.
To use icing for exfoliation, freeze milk and use the cubes on the face for natural removal of dead skin. For extra freshness and exfoliation power add pureed cucumber or blueberries to the milk.
General dos and don’ts while icing
- Use a clean ice tray to set your ice, and preferably have a dedicated tray for this purpose. This will prevent the cubes from catching germs when you use the tray for other purposes.
- Make sure you clean your face before icing.
- After placing the ice cubes in a soft cloth, wait until the ice melts a little, and start applying the ice when the cloth is a little wet.
- Keep another napkin or tissues handy when icing, to wipe of the excess liquid that is dripping from your face.
- Using ice cubes directly on the skin is not really advised, especially where the skin is thin. It might harm the capillaries right under the skin.
- If you opt for using the ice directly on the skin, wait a while after you take it out from the freezer. You might also have to wear gloves if you are using the ice directly, since you will not be able to hold the ice in your bare hands for a very long time.
- If you are aware that you already have damaged or broken capillaries, wait a few days for them to heal before you use skin icing.
- The ice should not be applied over the same region for more than 15 minutes at one time.
- Once you are done icing your skin, let the moisture dry off naturally from the skin surface.
- Set a regular (perhaps daily) routine for icing your face.
- If you wear a lot of makeup every day, ice your skin in the morning before applying the makeup.
- If you are icing areas affected with problems like pimples or inflammation, try icing alternate nights before going to bed. Icing for such problems at night helps the skin to heal and regenerate.
- In winters, it is recommended to not use this technique too often, since the decreased blood circulation will cause dryness and flakiness leading to irritation of the skin.
Up the freshness factor with these added ingredients
- Rose water acts as a toner, which soothes and hydrates the skin, apart from controlling oil secretion.
- Fresh lemon juice will help combatting the appearance of ageing skin, freckles and dark spots.
- Cucumber puree is fresh and has a cooling effect on the skin.
- Blueberry puree enables natural exfoliation of the dead skin.
- Coffee has constricting powers which uplifts the tiredness in the skin.
- Using a freshly brewed tea like chamomile or green tea will reduce inflammation and will have anti-ageing benefits.
- To improve the glow on your skin, you can freeze cubes of rice water and use them directly after a shower.